Staff Officer Accountant
First Choice Selection Services require a Staff Officer Accountant for their client based in Belfast.
Main Purpose of Job
To lead financial management throughout the Northern Ireland region, enabling the Regional Director and Managers to generate, allocate and manage resources, and support the central finance team.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Support the Regional Director/Head of Finance in developing timetables for the annual business plan and budget, and ensure the effective implementation through monthly review and bi-annual reforecasts.
- Coordinate the completion of budget and reforecast templates in line with guidance and ensure these are approved in accordance with the timeframe.
- Develop a reforecasting framework ensuring its adherence across all activities within the region.
- Produce monthly management accounts analysis for all regional activities.
- Coordinate feedback and variance explanations from budget holders and agree remedial action plans as required to ensure the region operates within budget
- Provide monthly commentary and analysis to the Regional Director and Head of Finance on key issues in the context of the overall financial strategy.
- Finalise the delivery of a framework for costing service delivery contracts that provides for full cost recovery and enable managers to calculate and understand the costing and pricing of their services.
- Work with local managers to reconcile contract income on a monthly basis, enabling risk to be managed and reported to SLT and Trustees through the monthly management accounts process.
- Provide financial advice and support to the Regional Director/managers in the development, negotiation and renewal of services and other contracts, where necessary attending contract negotiation meetings with commissioners.
- Support regional staff in ensuring all contractual income is achieved on a timely basis and all contractual reporting requirements are fully met.
- Coordinate the year-end schedule across the region, ensuring that all financial and non-financial information is provided to Central Office within the agreed timetable.
- Act as financial advisor across the Region on any new or significant projects.
- Ensure all new initiatives are subject to a financial risk appraisal ensuring plans are cost effective, funding is approved and income/expenditure adequately controlled with an understanding of the implications for the whole Society budget.
- Provide written reports, budgets, and advice as required by the Regional Director in consideration of new/significant developments or investments.
Finance Service to Localities
- Liaise closely with accounting centres and localities within the region, ensuring record keeping and financial controls are adequate and in line with the rest of the Society.
- Lead the reduction of bank accounts in the region, and the implementation of BACS processing/other initiatives in order to minimise bank charges.
- Provide advice and training on the implementation of the Society’s financial policies and procedures, ensuring training is recorded on the HR database.
- Work with accounting centre and locality staff to resolve financial issues and problems as they arise.
Undertake any other duties commensurate with this role
This position requires a degree of travel within the region as well as occasional meetings in the UK.
All of the following requirements are essential and will be assessed from a combination of information provided from the application form, tests, and a standard panel interview and references:
* Financial management skills
* Project management of budget-setting, reforecast and year-end processes.
* Advanced IT skills, including financial/reporting packages and Excel.
* Possess in-depth knowledge of VAT – preferably as it applies to charities.
* Contractual and funding arrangements applicable to the Society’s work
* Practical understanding of role of voluntary and statutory sectors
* Regulatory and statutory reporting requirements, including charity SORP.
* Demonstrate sound judgement based on knowledge and understanding.
* Adopt solution-focussed approach & make decisions under pressure.
* Contribute to the development of the Society’s financial strategy and lead on its implementation and monitoring at a regional level.
* Plan, prioritise and deliver to tight timescales.
* Implement and promote organisational initiatives, decisions and policies.
* Communicate effectively to a wide range of remote customers, particularly regional team, area managers and locality managers.
* Demonstrate consistency, reliability and integrity towards others.
* Demonstrate the self-confidence and inter-personal skills required to constructively promote a culture of effective financial management and control across the region.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:
* CCAB qualified accountant e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA.
* Extensive experience of producing management accounts
*The role is based in Belfast City Centre
*The hourly rate for the role is £17.38 per hour
If you are interested in the role and meet the criteria please submit your Cv to the link or contact Craig Devaney or Bradley Collings in our Belfast branch for more information.